Things that every homeowner should know

The Basics
Materials and Connections

Slip Joint

Copper tubing
Polyethylene (well pipe)
City Water
Well Tanks
Well Pumps
Water Conditioning
Outside faucets
Sump pumps

Water Heaters
Tankless coils
Indirect fired

Bath Tubs
Bath sinks
Kitchen sinks
Garbage Disposals

Product Reviews
General Problems
Contact Us

Kitchen Sinks

Kitchen sinks come in all shapes and sizes, with many new and beautiful styles being developed. The most common style sink by far though is the "drop in" stainless steel sink. These come in one and two bowl, in various depths and dimensions. Mostly all of them, however, will fit into a standard kitchen base cabinet.

The drop in style stainless sink gets mounted from underneath with special clips. The top lip is normally filled with caulk before the sink is dropped into place.

Kitchen faucets also come in very diverse and elegant styles. The standard type mounting is 8" center between the holes of the sink. Almost all kitchen faucets are designed with 8" centers in mind.

The Basin Wrench

The basin wrench(the picture to the left) is a necessity for changing out any faucet. There are some exceptions, but generally, it is near impossible do it without the help of a basin wrench. The wrench head swivels, so that the head is at a 90° angle to the wrench stem. The head is swiveled in one direction to loosen nuts, and the other to tighten nuts.

The basin wrench in use. It is in the tightening position.

To visit our faucet page, click here.

The real different part of the kitchen sink that hasn't been dealt with elsewhere is the drain connection known as the basket strainer.

The basket strainer is the drain connection for almost all kitchen sinks. It provides the stopper assembly and connection to the slip-joint assembly(including the trap).

The basket strainer uses plumbers putty for the top seal of the sink. Simply grab some putty, roll in into a ball, then roll it into a "worm" shape long enough to go around the entire lip of the basket strainer. Then the basket gets set down into the sink. The rubber washer should be the first thing against the sink from underneath. Then the paper friction washer. This prevents the rubber washer from getting snagged as the nut is tightened up. Then the cup/nut or just the large nut gets put on and tightened down. The excess putty will squish out the sides of the lip inside the sink. Simply remove the excess once the assembly is tightened down.

Another piece that is kitchen sink specific is the tailpiece. This is the white tube in the picture above. It is the size of the 1 1/2" slip-joint tube. The trap and the twin waste(if the sink has 2 bowls) will get connected to the tailpiece. The upper portion of the tailpiece has a lip that sits flat against the face of the basket strainer. There is also a tailpiece washer that gets inserted as well. Many times, the basket strainer comes with the tailpiece washer and one slip-joint nut. The tailpiece has to be purchased separately. They are extra long and need to be cut to fit.

The picture to the left shows the tailpiece, with washer inserted and with the standard slip-joint nut.

The picture above shows a standard kitchen drain set up. This one is using the end outlet twin waste, an s-trap, and you can see a black hose that is actually connected to a dishwasher tailpiece just above the trap.

Free Online Plumber does not warrant any of the information on this page, in regards to the accuracy or effectiveness of these procedures or this information. Always check and follow all applicable local plumbing codes.
contact us at